Norilet 400mg Tablet
By DR REDDY'S LABORATORIES LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
Norilet 400mg Tablet contains Norfloxacin, an antibiotic medicine.
Uses of Norilet 400mg Tablet
- To treat certain inflammatory conditions of the kidney, bladder and other parts of the urinary tract due to bacterial infection.
- For gonococcal Infections, a sexually transmitted infection that usually affects the genitals of a person characterised by painful urination.
Contraindications of Norilet 400mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to this medicine or any other ingredients of this medicine or similar medicines such as Ofloxacin and Ciprofloxacin
- If you had or have ruptured tendons or inflammation in tendons. (Tendons are tissue that attaches your muscles to your bones.)
Side effects of Norilet 400mg Tablet
- Headache, dizziness, nausea and abdominal cramps
- Lack of energy, stomach cramps, rashes and allergies
- Anxiety, muscle weakness and eating disorder
Precautions and Warnings of Norilet 400mg Tablet
Can I take Norilet 400mg Tablet during pregnancy?
- This medicine should not be used during pregnancy, as there is limited information about its safety in human pregnancy
- However, your doctor may give you this medicine if it is really needed and advantage overweighs the risk
Can I take Norilet 400mg Tablet while breastfeeding?
It passes into breast milk in very small amounts which probably will have minimal effect on the breastfed baby. If you are prescribed with medicine while you are breastfeeding watch out for the symptoms of diarrhoea and fungal infection in the breastfed baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Norilet 400mg Tablet?
This medicine may make you dizzy and feel lightheaded. You should avoid driving if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Norilet 400mg Tablet?
The side effects of this medicine and alcohol are similar such as dizziness, drowsiness and stomach upset. Thus, it is advised to avoid drinking when you are taking any antibiotic medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you experience pain, bruising and weakness in arms, shoulders as it can be due to ruptured tendons or tendon disorders. Discontinue the medicine immediately. Elderly are more prone to this
- If you experience abnormally painful sensations, anxiety, headache, hallucinations or confusion, difficulty in sleeping, discontinue the medicine immediately
- It would be best if you avoided excessive exposure to sunlight as it can give reactions like burning and blisters
- If you have a history of or currently have a condition of muscle weakness called myasthenia gravis
- If you are having episodes of watery and bloody diarrhoea, black tarry stools with fever and stomach ache
- If you have problems with your heart like irregular heartbeats, abnormal heart rhythm and slow heartbeat
- This medicine can mask the symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease called syphilis. A lab test of this disease must be done before starting the treatment
- If you experience loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fever, yellowing of the skin and eyes it can be due to liver disorder
- If you have problems with your kidney or heart disorder, arthritis or history of joint issues
- Consume ample amount of water
Mode of Action of Norilet 400mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Norfloxacin kills the bacteria causing infection by inhibiting the DNA synthesis in bacterial cell.
Directions for Use of Norilet 400mg Tablet
- Take this medicine as a whole with sufficient amount of water two hours before or after meals
- Consume ample amount of water when you are taking this medicine
- Take it as instructed by your doctor
Interactions of Norilet 400mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Nitrofurantoin, a medicine used to treat UTIs, may alter the effects of it. Norfloxacin, if used along
- Concomitant use of Norfloxacin or with medicines used for pain and fever such as Ibuprofen, may increase the risk of getting fits or seizures
- Be cautious if you are taking medicines containing caffeine, medicine for brain disorders like Clozapine, Ropinirole, Tacrine and Tizanidine a muscle relaxant
- Norfloxacin can increase the side effects of medicines like Theophylline (used to treat congestion in airways) and Cyclosporin (used to modify the immune response.)
- Regular monitoring of bleeding parameters is advised if you are taking blood thinners like Warfarin and similar medicines
- Concomitant use of Norfloxacin along with corticosteroids taken by orally or by injection may increase the chance of tendon injury
- Norfloxacin can alter the glucose-lowering effect of antidiabetic medicines like Glyburide and regular blood sugar monitoring is advised
- Multivitamins (containing iron, zinc), antacids, sucralfate, anti-HIV medicine like Didanosine should be consumed with a minimum gap of 2 hours
- Other medicines like Probenecid, Erythromycin, Cisapride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Indapamide and Digoxin should be used cautiously
Storage and disposal of Norilet 400mg Tablet
- Store below 25°C in a clean and dry place, protected from moisture, sunlight and heat
- Keep the medicine away from children and pets
- You should not use this medicine after the expiry date
- Do not use this medicine if you notice that the pack is damaged or shows signs of tampering
- You should not flush this medicine in the toilet or pour them into the drain. You need to properly discard this medicine when it is expired or no longer needed
Dosage of Norilet 400mg Tablet
If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the scheduled time. Do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I was given this medicine for urinary tract infection, after taking it for two days I am feeling perfectly fine, can I discontinue taking this medicine?
A: No, this medicine is an antibiotic and antibiotics and to be taken for the complete course as prescribed by your doctor. Though you will be feeling better but some bacteria will still be alive in your system, this can lead to these bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics.
Q: I have fever and cold, can I take this medicine?
A: No, this medicine is a higher antibiotic and reserved for severe infections. This medicine should be taken only if your doctor considers it essential for you. Also, this medicine is not meant for viral infections.
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved