The problem of dark circles isn’t alien to both – men and women! And when they occur, we feel dreadful and awful. Don’t worry; you are not the only one who is faced with this problem. Some of the most stunning celebrities the world over have encountered this problem at some point in time and have had to resort to make-up and concealers to hide these dark circles.
Why do Dark Circles Occur?
Not restricted to any particular age group, these dark circles occur primarily because of the below reasons:
- Improper diet – Lack of nutritious foods such as salads, fruits, and intake of junk, unhealthy, and processed foods results in the occurrences of dark circles. Inadequate nourishment also makes the skin look dull, shallow and may result in the formation of these dark circles.
- Inadequate water intake – Water is one vital fluid that the body needs at all points of time. Not only does it help to keep the skin hydrated but also helps in the secretion of toxins. Up your water intake and see how magically these dark circles start to disappear.
- Insomnia – Irregular sleep patterns or short sleep cycles help in the formation of the dark circles. Thus, it is vital to have a balanced lifestyle coupled with adequate periods of rest.
- Genetics – Many times, many people may inherit the problem of dark circles from their parents. If you fall into this category, the issue of dark circles cannot be solved completely. But with adequate care and nourishment, they can be reduced.
- Illness – Prolonged periods of illness can throw our routine out of schedule and result in the temporary formation of dark circles.
- Computer usage – Long hours in front of the smartphone and computer can result in eye strain and stress. This can also cause dark circles.
Thankfully, all is not lost when you start seeing the occurrences of these dark circles! With adequate care and treatment, you can quickly get this situation under control in no time.
Tips to Treat Dark Circles Naturally
Since the skin around the eyes is susceptible, it’s best to resort to natural remedies rather than chemical-based products to treat these problems. So, here’s a bucket-list of simple, and easily doable home remedies that can help breathe a new lease of life around your eyes.
Cold tea bags
One of the most effective and highly easy ways to combat these dark circles is to use cold tea bags. Preferably, use green tea or chamomile tea bags for quick results. Soak the bags in water and chill in the refrigerator. Remove from the fridge and gently place them on both your eyes for 10 to 15 mins. Repeat regularly.
Grated potatoes or grated cucumber
This is by far one of the most effective remedies! Grate some raw potatoes or cucumber and place the shreds on your eyes. Relax and remove them after 10-12 minutes. Alternatively, you can also extract the juice of potatoes or cucumbers. Take a cotton ball, soak it in the juice, and place it over your eyes. Make sure the entire area around the dark circles is covered. Leave it for 1-3 minutes and wash off with cold water. In case, you are pressed for time; you can also directly place slices of cucumber or potato on your eyes. They also aid in reducing the puffiness around the eye area.
Cold milk is a natural cleanser for the eyes and also helps in soothing the sensitive skin around the eyes. Dip a cotton ball in cold milk and apply on the eye area. Keep it for a while and later rinse the eyes with cold water. Repeat at least thrice a week!
Aloe Vera is an effective moisturizer. Before hitting the sack, gently apply Aloe Vera gel under the eyes and massage for 5-7 minutes. Don’t rinse unless you feel sticky and uncomfortable.
Almond oil and lemon juice
Another tried and tested remedy to treat dark circles is to mix almond oil and lemon juice. Take about a teaspoon of almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice, combine them, and gently apply around the eye area. Massage and let it rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse post that!
This one can surely be termed as grand mom’s secret remedy! Rose water is refreshing, rejuvenating, and can practically be used on almost all skin types, and for all skin related issues. It’s also a mild astringent and can be used as an effective skin toner too. Soak cotton eye pads in rose water and place over the eyelids. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat every night for a month to see the best results.
Tomatoes are natural bleaching agents. They also contain antioxidants that help to tame down the discoloration around the eye area. Mix a teaspoon of tomato juice with a spoon of lemon juice and apply under both the eye areas. Let it remain for 10 minutes or so and rinse off with cold water. Alternatively, you can also consume tomato juice mixed with some lemon juice and mint leaves to get rid of dark circles.
Yoga and Meditation
One of the underlying reasons of dark circles is stress, depression, and an erratic lifestyle. Thus, one of the most prudent ways to deal with dark circles is to stay calm and composed. But as stress is an integral part of our life, this is not always possible. Hence, it is beneficial to make Yoga and Meditation an everyday ritual! Yoga not only calms down the mind but also helps to regulate the body clock and most importantly, it addresses most body problems from the core.
Finally, Treat Dark Circles Naturally by making it a point to:
- Consume a diet that’s rich in vitamin C and iron
- Avoid rubbing your eyes all the time
- Avoid strong eye cosmetics. Go natural!
- Moisturize the skin under the eye
- When you step out in the sun, wear sunglasses. Not only will they help you look stylish but also help in protecting the eyes from the harmful UV rays