Hair is an important expression of who you are, it is your crowning glory. Healthy hair signifies youth, health, strength, and vitality. Genetics plays an important role in determining your hair texture and thickness, however, your diet, lifestyle, environmental factors, and overall approach to hair care are also important to maintain your hair.
Following are certain tips that can help you maintain healthy hair.
- Cleanliness is the key to keeping your hair healthy. Make sure that you wash your hair at least twice a week so that you remove the dirt and excess oil.
- Never wash your hair with very hot or very cold water. Hot water can take away the protective oils that act as a natural conditioner and make hair’s natural shine disappear and dry it out. Instead, use lukewarm water to wash your hair.
- Use a conditioner after shampooing. Conditioner coats your hair strands and helps reduce breakage and split ends. It also helps to keep your hair soft and manageable.
- Let your hair air dry when possible. Frequent blow drying can damage your hair. Limit the use of these tools. When using a hairdryer, make sure to use the lowest heat setting and always hold it away from your hair.
- Avoid brushing wet hair. This will cause the hair to stretch and finally break.
- Detangling is essential to prevent the breakage of hair. Use a wide-toothed comb to gently remove hair knots if there are any. Avoid pulling your hair as you comb it.
- Do not tie your hair up in very tight braids, buns, or ponytails. Frequently wearing these tight hairstyles can break the hair, damage your hair roots and cause hair fall. Try hairstyles that do not pull your hair.
- The sun’s rays can not only harm your skin but can also damage the hair. Hence, protect your hair when outdoors.
- Avoid chlorine damage by rinsing your hair before entering the pool. If your hair is already saturated with water, it will not absorb as much from the chemical-laden pool. Wear a tight-fitting swim cap. Rinse hair immediately after swimming.
- Have a healthy balanced diet. If you are not getting enough nutrients and calories, you may lose hair.
- Trim your hair once in 6−8 weeks, it would help avoid split ends.
- Stress can affect your hair health. So, it is important to relax.
These are few hair care tips that will help you maintain the good health of your hair. If you experience any sudden change in your hair such as thinning of hair or if you are losing more hair than usual, consult your dermatologist immediately. The reason for this may not be your hair care, but something else. Most of them can be stopped or treated. See a dermatologist in order to know the cause and get the right solution.
An initiative by
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.