It is common knowledge that you need to drink 7-8 glasses of water every day. Your body needs water to carry out all of its functions. While it is understandable that you will have to space out your drinking, many people are left asking the question should they drink their first glass of water before or after brushing their teeth. Read on to find out.
Drinking Water First Thing In The Morning –
You can indeed drink water right after you wake up, even before you brush your teeth. In fact, this practice can do you a world of good-
- Your body uses up its water supply during the night when you sleep. You don’t always wake up in the middle of the night to refill your water stores. That is why you should drink water as soon as you wake up. It will rehydrate you.
- The germs and bacteria inside your mouth multiply during the night. When you drink water, it will clean out your mouth and make tooth-brushing more effective.
- When you make a habit of drinking water before brushing, you will notice your immunity becoming more robust. There will be fewer incidents of you falling prey to illnesses such as common cough and cold, flu or hay fever.
- Yet another surprising benefit is that drinking water before brushing will lower high blood pressure and regulate blood sugar levels throughout the day.
- When you start the day with a glass of water, you ensure that problems like gastritis or indigestion will not plague you.
- Lastly, this practice will make both your skin and hair soft and supple.
What about drinking Water after Brushing?
The answer to this question is an emphatic NO. Not just water, you should not be consuming any liquids or solids right after brushing.
Drinking water after brushing your teeth reduces the efficacy of your toothpaste. As it is, when you rinse out your mouth after brushing, most of the beneficial elements in your toothpaste are washed away. But some still linger among your teeth and gums and these remnants will protect your teeth throughout the day. Now if you drink water after you brush, you will be flushing down the remains of the toothpaste. This will leave your mouth defenceless.
Wait 15-20 minutes before you drink or eat anything.
There is no better way to start the morning than with a glass of water before you brush your teeth. It has a tonne of benefits that will keep you going strong all day. Just try to avoid drinking water right after you brush.